YSPN Perth hosted an event featuring 3 expert panellists on navigating the changing economic landscape, and the steps we must take to survive and succeed in the future
Thank you for supporting us at our latest panel event at our new venue Flux on 13 August 2019. We heard from three knowledgable and experienced panelists, Alana Sullivan, Danny Dellaca and Kiru Thangadurai on the topic of standing out in a dynamic economy, hosted by expert facilitator Baldeep Bhullar.
We learnt a great deal from the panellists in three summarised categories:
- Ensure that you have an up to date LinkedIn profile with relevant keywords
- Have a relevant up to date CV which talks to both your achievements and responsibilities
- Check to make sure your salary expectation is in line with market
- Having both a mentor and a sponsor will help you develop professionally and personally. A senior level sponsor will enable further career opportunities through advocacy on your behalf.
- Utilising platforms like LinkedIn Learning or EdX can give you cheap or free professional development in your own or employers time. This can enable a potential career change or higher role in an organisation.
- Saying "yes" to more opportunities will enable you to gain more experience in a variety of fields and will give you more potential to take on additional scope or develop your career further, than if you are very selective with opportunities.
- Having a good network can be a great boost when looking for that new job or developing your career as many jobs are not advertised and may come through recommendation
- Given that you want to maximise the 'bang for your buck' in networking, it's best to be selective as to what events you attend. If you are not getting value out of the events, the take a more tactical approach and be selective around where you spend your time.
- Networking is give and take. There is opportunity to both learn and teach and ensuring that there is mutual value to networking is essential for it to be of value.
- Feel free to carry on the conversation and view our photos here. Thank you to the YSPN WA team and Husveena Singh for the superb photography!
And most of all, thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you at our next event which will be launched shortly!
We are always seeking feedback and your feedback is essential in shaping the way we direct our efforts as volunteers at YSPN. Feel free to reply to comment below or email email@example.com with any feedback - we are ever grateful for your comments.